Litter Picking Dates
LLANGENNITH BEACH CLEAN
Next Taclu Litter Picker’s Hub in Bishopston, Gower
Sunday 19th August 10am-4pm
Bishopston Recreation Ground Car park
Please drop in through out the day for however long you can spare. The more people who care the more litter we can pick up. The litter picker’s hub includes a shelter to sit down and get warm, a refreshments area as well as the basic kit for litter picking. Any questions just contact us.
Autumn Hedge-laying Courses 2018 in Murton, Gower
Midweek 4 day Hedge-laying Course
Mon-Thurs 22nd-25th October 2018
Weekend 4 day Hedge-laying Course
20th-21st and 27th-28th October 2018
Healthy laid hedges provide a stock-proof fence, a significant windbreak which contributes to the welfare of stock and a woodland corridor for birds, plants and small mammals. The 4 day course will take you through the skills and knowledge to enable you to tackle laying a hedge. No prior skills or experience are needed.
What will you learn on the course?
- Basic principles of hedge-laying its benefits to wildlife and stock-proof features
- Practice how to cut with a range of traditional axes and billhooks
- How to successfully pleach and lay a hedge
- Hedge staking and binding
- Identify the main hedgerow trees and shrubs.
Who will be teaching you?
Bob Smith is an experienced tutor in traditional rural skills including coppice management, hedge-laying, green woodworking and yurt making.
Where will it take place?
Bishopston Recreation green Murton. We began laying the hedge in February 2018 and will carry on laying around the perimeter of the green. A shelter will be provided near the work site for inclement weather. Outdoor, wet weather clothing and footwear are required.
Cost £200 (Concessions £120 please ask)
Practical Hedgerow Restoration 3 day course
Mon-Wed Nov 5th-7th 2018
In this introductory course you will learn how to begin rejuvenating neglected hedgerows. We will look at
- examples of hedgerow decline and how the different species of hedge plants develop in a hedge left un-laid for extended periods.
- how banks and stone facings deteriorate over time; what can be done and how to go about a partial or full restoration.
- Assessment of the hedge with regards to the effort and cost depending on the initial state.
- Safe deconstruction of hedge
The course will cover full reconstruction of a hedge bank using hand tool techniques including deconstruction, grubbing up plants to repairing stone facings and preparation and replanting.
It is advantageous but not essential to have some hedgelaying experience or have attended our hedge-laying course.
Venue: Murton, Gower
Cost £150 (concession £90 please ask)
To Book A Place
email firstname.lastname@example.org or Jules mob 07964530436.
A deposit will guarantee a place